to the top of talybont reservoir
This route follows the old railway line to the top of Talybont reservoir where you will be rewarded by fabulous views. This route will take about a day.
7st 12 lbs
- From Brecon canal basin follow the towpath along the south side of the canal to Brynich lock.
- • At the lock go through the wooden gates and turn right on the road (take care) signposted Taff Trail. After ½a mile turn first right. In Llanfrynach turn right opposite the church (signposted Taff Trail) towards Pencelli.
- • At Pencelli turn right on the B4558. After a mile turn right at Cross Oak, signposted Talybont Reservoir. Go straight ahead at the next T-junction to Aber village and up to the dam and Reservoir on the road. At the Reservoir turn left to cycle along the top of the dam, following signs for the Taff Trail.
- • At the far side of the dam turn right to follow the old railway line (rough stone track) along a gradual incline on the east side of the Talybont Reservoir and on to the top of the valley. Leave the original railway line at the Torpantau Tunnel and follow the track up to the road at Blaen-y-glyn (420m).
- Turn right and go downhill over Pont Blaen-y-glyn and down to the reservoir (at this point the road is very steep and you are advised to walk down this short section). Cycle past the dam and down past Aber village. Keep right and follow the road to the lift bridge in Talybont on Usk. Turn left and onto the canal towpath and follow this all the way back to Brecon canal basin.